Contact: fotoyaaf (at) gmail.com
As an entomologist based in the Netherlands, I have been captivated by the vast diversity of insects and the unique ways in which they live their lives. My PhD research at Wageningen University delved into the intriguing world of small parasitoid wasps and the odors released by plants that guide them to their host caterpillars over vast distances. My MSc studies also explored the fascinating behaviors of pollinators and social wasps, fueling my passion for these incredible creatures. Wasps are truly awesome!
In my free time, I indulge in my love of nature photography, capturing the intricate behaviors of insects in their natural habitats. As a hobbyist, I also used to keep a variety of mantis species as pets, which I photographed in my own home, as there are no native mantis species in the Netherlands. Recently I have added a few mantises to my home again! If you share my interests in entomology, photography, or keeping mantises, don’t hesitate to reach out to me via email.
My passion for nature photography was recognized in 2018 when I won the Marius van der Sandt scholarship for young nature photographers. I was able to work under the guidance of five professional nature photographers on a photo project focused on predatory insects. The results of my project can be viewed on my blog.
All photos on my website are copyrighted and may not be copied or used elsewhere without my permission.
- 2022 Shortlist of Close-up Photographer of the year 04, category Butterflies and dragonflies
- 2021 Shortlist of Close-up Photographer of the year 03, category Butterflies and dragonflies
- 2020 Interview on the website natuurfotografie.nl
- 2020 Shortlist of Close-up Photographer of the Year 02, category Insects
- 2020 Cover of April and June edition of Entomologische Berichten, magazine of the NEV (Dutch society for entomologists)
- 2019 Winner of category ‘Arthropods’ of the Groene Camera, photo was also published in Natuurfotografie Magazine nr. 3 of 2019
- 2018 Winner of the Marius van der Sandt scholarship
- 2017 Runner up (second prize) in category ‘Arthropods’ of the Groene Camera
- 2016 Second Prize in PE&RC’s got Talent – Picture Awards, ‘Field-/lab-/modelling work’ category
- 2016 Royal Society Publishing Photography Competition, Shortlist in ‘Behaviour’ category with ‘Mass of tadpoles’
- 2016 1st Prize of Poster Awards during Nern-NecoV Netherlands Annual Ecology Meeting
- 2011 2nd Prize of the photo competition held during the Insect Experience festival in Wageningen. This photo was also published in Cannatalk, issue 16, 2012
Gallery of publications/awarded photos: